Along for the ride:

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Dentist - Part I, (circa 1966)

Our Mother was conscientious about taking my sister and I to have our bi-yearly dental check-ups. We felt comfortable with our dentist; he was a neighbor whose family were members of the same local Country Club.
It turns out that he was also a Lush! As children we were oblivious to his drinking; what did we know? I found out years later at a gathering of friends when my Mother told an amusing anecdote of us sitting mouth-open in the big leather chair whilst our dentist occasionally popped over to his instrument cabinet to take a swig out of his flask before continuing to inspect our teeth.
The story was told more than once over the years; it was part of our family-lore. It made us laugh. It didn't occur to me until years later to question: "What The Hell Was She Thinking?"

No comments:

Post a Comment