Along for the ride:

Friday, November 1, 2013

Leave your dignity in the forest...

I usually whine and complain about what a waste of a riding lesson it is to play Halloween games on horseback. It probably has something to do with coming second in the egg and spoon race as a polite five year old; the "winner" having moved into my track lane. Years of hearing about myself running the rest of the race hopefully repeating "Excuse me please. Excuse me please" resulted in a deeply ingrained trauma and an aversion to looking foolish.
This year I've been happily working with a green (unschooled) horse, who came in without even the basics of how to walk in a circle. He also "floored" some riders by bucking when asked to canter. "Not fit for general population", he became my personal project horse. Chief Tenaya is a big peasant of a horse with an honest disposition. He's six years old, but his owner was too old to work with him and he'd been a pasture ornament rather than getting an education. He had to learn that people should not be knocked out of the way and that a horse should pay attention to the rider, not gaze around for something interesting to spook at.
I had signed up for some private dressage lessons and chose to ride Chief, rather than a more sophisticated mount. Circles and spirals, mostly at the walk, with a horse as big and stiff as a barge. To most people that doesn't sound like fun but, to me, the connection with an animal who is willing to learn and the small, incremental achievements on which to build his future, have always been my passion.
The action photo above is the culmination of our work so far. I've developed a mutual trust relationship with this horse and I'd been dreaming about riding him bareback for a while. Halloween seemed the perfect excuse. With a faded curtain as the basis for an outfit, I taped my tiara, some leaves and forest creatures (cat toys:) to my helmet and went as Princess "Leave your Dignity in the Forest" Tenaya. Some of the horses wanted to lunch on my leafy crown and others were distracted by the cat toys that squeaked with every step. Chief never blinked an eye at my cape flowing across his rump and he performed like a pro. We even beat some other teams to win the bending poles (slalom for horses).
After the first few minutes of strangeness without a saddle, Meatloaf, singing "It's all coming back to me now" started running through my head and then I simple forgot that I didn't have a saddle. The last time I rode bareback was when I had a horse of my own, over twenty-five years ago. I had so much fun, I'm debating whether or not to ever use a saddle again.

20 comments:

  1. I think I can see why you like working with the Chief...he's willing to co operate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, he gets all sweaty with concentration when we try something new:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How extremely satisfying. I'm impressed with his ability to remain unspooked during this event. Maybe there's something to leaving all inhibitions to the wind and just going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous horse! Oh - and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frances, I know you can see, from the photo, that he has bend, contact and correct lead canter departure. I have that Proud Mama feeling:) I must say I do appreciate this riding stables. They care about the horses and let them develop correctly with more experienced riders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Annette, It was Wheee! I've been smiling all week.

      Delete
  7. "and chose to ride Chief, rather than a more sophisticated mount."

    I had to look hard at that line just to make sure that my tired eyes were not deceiving me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef, and I had to look twice to see what you meant...incorrigible!

      Delete
  8. We will both move quietly on and never speak another word about the intimate moment we did not share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chief is really cute for a "big barge." Been a while since I rode bareback too. However, since I ride in a treeless saddle, much of the feel is still there as my balance becomes much more important.

    You look adorable up there and I'm so glad you had fun at the games. Makes up for the bit of a cheat you experienced as a child. *S*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, thank you. Love the teacherly remark about my past experience:)

      Delete
  10. You have that inane sense of animal. It is something I lack and I'm a bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I'm sure you have greater finesse with humans than I do. It balances out:)

      Delete
  11. Hmm last time I rode Flurry bareback, I thought I was going to be sliced in two. Nope, not doing that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tails, Chief has an expansive and comfy back. I'm not crazy!

      Delete
  12. OMG! I got to watch Mounted Games at a show in New Zealand once, what fun!!! I wanted to try some of those things so bad. Of course, I'd have probably fallen off.
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vagabond, I'm sure you'd stay on. Your relationship with your horses would make for great team work. As a kid, my pony new that, when the music stopped, it was hell-for-leather into the center to acquire a sack for me to land on (in musical sacks). In fact, most of the ponies new the games. It was quite death-defyingly competitive.

      Delete