Along for the ride:

Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Collie Colored Interior

TThe car shenanigans have continued with a broken down rental car, that took Hertz four hours to retrieve, and a "roadside assistance phone operator" who told me it was too early in the day and I'd have to call around myself to find a replacement vehicle.
After a wasted morning, I had a friend drive me forty miles to get a car. I must say that the real humans at the rental offiice tried hard to make up for the inconvenience, offering me peaches from their parking lot tree and giving me a 2015 model car, so new it still has the bar-coded delivery stickers on it.

This enormous project, is the kind of thing that occupies me, when I'm not dealing with every day problems. 
When it all comes together, this is what this back yard fountain will look like. These spillways will lead to a vertical drop. The sheet of water will surge and sparkle over custom blue glass mosaic tiles and enhance the view from the basement levels and from the master bedroom balconies.
The design criteria are that this walk the fine line between modern and traditional, to appeal to the target buyer, the 35 to 45 year old techie, multi-millionaire.
The on-site photo shows safety railings that were installed last week, immediately after a young roofing contractor plummeted off a two storey roof, onto hard dirt. He is going to make it. He had surgery on his broken leg. It could have been so much worse. 
I was meeting with the home owner and we rounded a corner of his substantial construction project, to see three guys standing, conversing with a fourth, who was stretched full length on the ground. It looked like it was break time and one was resting, until we saw the blood that had run down from his head wound. When he fell, his hammer followed and bashed him on the way down. 
The buddies were calling their boss and wanted to load him in their car, to drive to the hospital, to avoid ambulance fees and accident reports, surely. We nixed that idea and the homeowner called 911 while I wiped the blood out of the victims eyes and repeatedly insisted that he stay still, fearing for spinal injuries etc. Their story was that he had slipped off the lower, balcony section, not the two storey roof. Relative to where he was lying, the young man must have taken quite a flying jump to make the tale true. 
The next day on the jobsite was all hard hats and safety harnesses. Nothing is ever learned for free but it was really the best outcome for the situation.
5
My new (to me) car is a Ford Escape. It only has 27,000 miles on it. That's a hundred thousand less than the car that went to the scrap heap in the sky. 

The thing that sold me on this vehicle, other than being a nice, lively drive, is the Collie colored interior. No more black seats covered alternately with white stone dust and beige dog hair. Yes!
It is a great shame that it's not halloween. I might have won prizes for the most gross eye. I was in front of a mirror yesterday afternoon, to pull my hair into a poneytail before riding. This is what I noticed. I couldn't make this stuff up, if I tried. 
My head did not explode. I can still see and I had a nice ride, although it was104 degrees. My eye got worse over night so I did call my health care provider. The advice nurse asked a lot of questions and thinks I'll live, although it's still going to be ugly for a week or two. 

17 comments:

  1. Anyone gives you a problem give 'em the stink eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That eye looks scary...glad it is nothing serious and you're right...that young man was lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My but that eye is interesting looking. I hope it isn't causing you pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, if I were in pain, everyone would hear about it, but thanks for asking.

      Delete
  4. Your eye looks awful. Glad it's not painful. Hope the red goes away soon.

    Love the color of your interior, I never get black anything anymore with all the hair around here.

    Good the young guy wasn't hurt worse. Another life lesson, always wear a helmet of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grey Horse, I don't think about my eye at all. Until people do a horrified double-take when they see me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very interesting look you've got there !

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness. Strange how it's almost exactly half the white of your eye. Broken blood vessel?

    The new car looks great. I tend to buy furniture and carpets in colors that do not show cat fur. It is a wise buying practice. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great Polish flag you are sporting in your eye ER! Glad it's nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wiola, it is a pretty good representation of the flag, is it not? It is now only one quarter of my eye, although receding in geometric quadrants, rather than a uniform fade. It now looks more like a pie chart. Very odd.

      Delete
    2. The joy of being original!

      Delete
  9. Ehhh... ew? Breakfast is now doing somersaults!
    Your life is never plain sailing, is it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tails, doesn't everyone live like this? Come the Apocalypse, I am sooo pre-qualified to manage the fallout:)
    Never Fear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stopping by to say hello. It has been a while since you posted and I was wondering how you are doing. :-)

    ReplyDelete