Along for the ride:

Monday, January 26, 2015

Shangri-La


Our weekend couldn't have distanced us further from the daily grind, even if it had a magic wand.
Friday had TAO responding to an invitation to present his work to a Foundation for the Arts, that recently opened in San Francisco. This group originated in France and are based in the hills that rise up behind Nice and Cannes, on the road to St Paul de Vence.
I volunteered to drive TAO and drop him off by the door of the Gallery as his knee is barely functioning now and it would be impossible for him to park and walk anywhere on his own. The fact that these are French speaking Gallery folks meant that I didn't have to go with him to translate and TAO could call my cell phone to be collected, when he was done. I do feel a bit like The Country Mouse when I have to broach the City. I had upgraded my look to include "interesting shoes" and a clean T-shirt, which is about as fashion forward as I can go.
How many posts have I written without mentioning hide, hair, nor hoof of a horse? I have finally carved out some acceptance, from those around me, of the fact that I need equestrian interaction on a semi-regular basis, if I am to fake it through the rest of life.
Initially more a case of recognition of this being one of my "Line in the Sand" moments that no amount of guilt tripping and sulking would change, we have reached the stage where TAO will tag along and enjoy the beauty that often surrounds horsy pursuits.
On Saturday morning we drove for an hour to reach a private ranch where Lusitano horses are bred and raised for Dressage competition. These big, beautiful Portuguese horses are often Grey with huge intelligent eyes and flowing manes. I was allowed to ride Leon, who is black. He's retired from competition and is the schoolmaster on which the owner of the horses can check out new riders without endangering her horses, or the humans who beg to ride them.
I was nervous the night before, worried in case I would not make the grade. They only take on pupils who are realistic about their own abilities and open to learning more of the science and art that is dressage. I had been warned that they did not take on beginners.
The young woman who worked with me and others who work full time nurturing and schooling these gorgeous beasts, are imports from Austria and Germany. The horses have stable areas with vibrating floors, heat lamps etc. and the hoses with which to wash them have warm water options.
The owner of the Ranch came out to meet us, with her flock of mismatched rescue dogs. She was extraordinarily kind to TAO and took him on a tour in her golf-cart. She brought him into the arena while I rode. There are huge, plush-cushioned seats and couches in and around the ring. One of the goats, that wander freely, pulled a cushion onto the floor and very nearly peed on it, but missed. A young Dromedary was enjoying the sun in a nearby paddock and a couple of Zebras' braying added to the impression of having passed through the looking glass.
Apart from a couple of involuntary Piaffes, when I was supposed to be asking for canter, Leon and I got along just fine. I could probably ride him for years and still have things that he could teach me. I am to be permitted to return to this magic kingdom to repeat the experience and even ride other steeds in the future.
As we drove away afterwards, I tried to explain to TAO the feeling that I have rejoined my Tribe, after a long absence, and I have been made welcome. 
We were done with the horse experience before noon and (having changed into clean clothes at the roadside) headed out towards the coast . We had lunch in Davenport, where the food is good. I had a leek and artichoke lasagna and TAO had the fish stew. We also allowed ourselves most of a bottle of a crisp Rose wine. I left my vehicle parked for a couple of hours and visited the beach after lunch, while TAO snoozed in the sun-slathered car.



12 comments:

  1. Lovely...and you got to ride equine royalty...I'm a bit envious...there is an equestrian program here for both adults and kids with various disabilities...the catch?No transport from where I live because public transport doesn't go there...Merde!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e, call them and find someone close by you who can carpool. There may even be volunteers willing to pick up people. I hope you make it there:)

      Delete
    2. I've done that and received no response after being told someone would call...

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    This horse looks very noble indeed.

    How wonderful that you made an instant connection and learned so much in that short period of time. It must gave felt great being back in the saddle with such an intelligent horse for company.

    Your day sounds to have been perfect in every way. Perhaps this will become a regular event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane & Lance, thank you. It was, indeed, a golden moment.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful that both you and Leon got on so well ! I hope it's the first of many rides together .
    And now , tell us more about the interesting shoes ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. s&S, The shoes are basically clogs, that don't look like clogs. They're a light taupe suede with green, red and mustard diagonal bands in leather across the front and a row of three wooden buttons on the side. They make me look as if I gave it some thought, at least, and didn't get dressed in the dark (as is often the case:)

      Delete
  4. Ah, you seem to have found heaven at last. Beautiful scenery and a wonderful horse opportunity. Leon looks to be an angel and ready to carry you off to the Elysian Fields of equestrian paradise. Well, I exaggerate, but the fact that you were invited back speaks volumes about your riding and dedication to riding. Enjoy the sunshine and the experience.

    Does TAO need a new knee? So sorry. Been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, it was indeed a little bit of heaven:) Re: the knee. TAO is being offered both a knee and a shoulder replacement, The down-sides are he has a wonky leg so wouldn't be able to use that one while his "good" leg was rehabbing. If he uses a walking frame, his shoulder is painful and unreliable and the hand he almost severed years ago isn't strong and is hard to bend,and the other wrist had bones removed and fused to fix a badly healed fracture. He takes blood thinners which we could somewhat work around but he can't take anti-inflammatories, as he already had internal bleeding due to those. Fear is also a factor.
      Almost forgot, all latex, bandaids, paper gauze, antiseptic creams make him break out in hives all over. Should write a book:)

      Delete
  5. What a stunning place and glad to finally see you on a horse! That's the way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wiola, I don't run after cameras to be photographed, but it is useful to see position, etc. This arena has a million mirrors. There are none where I usually ride.

      Delete