Along for the ride:

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Unicorn


When you have a friend who has everything she needs and who is diligently decluttering her home and life, it's a challenge to find a birthday gift that will not obligate a politely feigned delight. What none of us have is enough time together to just chat and share of ourselves. Knowing this person since she and I were crazy girls on ponies, although she no longer follows that passion, she used to introduce herself to strangers with all of her many middle names and insert "Tiddlywinks", her pony's name, into the mix before finishing with her surname. She's turning fifty-six, catching up with me, as happens each year.
I'm giving her the gift of an appointment with a Unicorn. She can hug him, groom him, ride him or simply make a wish. Sarge is the oldster at the barn and a favorite with the kids. He's pure white, except when they paint him with flowers and rainbows. He is the heart horse of the riding school owner and instructor. On special occasions he turns into a magical beast.

21 comments:

  1. I think you've found the perfect gift for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grey Horse it feels like we should all put a little whimsy back into our grown-up lives.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Annie, it's so nice to see this old horse shine in so many people's eyes and hearts.

      Delete
  3. I think the gift of time with Sarge will be a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e, just the idea of it made her laugh out loud. She was here for lunch and I gave her a unicorn themed card and showed her Sarge's Unicorn pose.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful gift! Every girls dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdie, we all take ourselves far too seriously. I do think I may have found the cure:)

      Delete
  5. For me at the ripe old age of 58, experiences are much better gifts. Hope she enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MR, the idea of it already made her laugh, so that's good.

      Delete
  6. Now that's a genius gift! She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, I do believe this is a winner:) I've actually been wondering if we could make this available to kids in need, in some way.

      Delete
  7. A lovely present for both your friend and the unicorn !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever and thoughtful gift. There is nothing in the world better than a unicorn. May your friend be blessed more than enough of his magic to last for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, this one reallis "the thought that counts". Even if she never has time to hook up with the unicorn, in her thoughts she has that possibility to reach for.

      Delete
  9. I can't think of a better gift. I am TERRIBLE at gift giving. I usually end up sending gift cards. As my sainted Irish Mother would say, "Shame on your head!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, sometimes inspiration strikes:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. a new visitor and like your post.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete