Along for the ride:

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Sea Otters

We drove out to the coast this morning, under bright sunny skies. There was frost to scrape off my car window before we left and the breeze was chilly but we found ourselves in a seaside heaven, at a restaurant with a glassed in patio, on pilons over the water.

Lunch of freshest grilled sand dabs, lightly painted with a ginger teriaki glaze, watching pelicans diving and hearing the bark of seals.

The sea otters were so big, I thought they were seals but their playful spinning and waggling feet-flippers made me question that assumption. I left my meal to hang over the railing and watch them dive and come up with mussels, which they cracked and ate, using their fat tummies as tables.
There was a brief territorial dispute when two otters surfaced a few inches from one another. Those who were done feasting swam up the mouth of the river and let themselves be swooshed back down into the ocean estuary.

12 comments:

  1. I've always loved otters. You were so lucky to see some up close. What clever fellows they are. Did you see them using stones to break open the shells? The table tummies are adorable and a most practical dining technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, Ring of Brightwater was a memorable book of my youth. I had little expectation back then of having such access to watch otters in person.

      Delete
    2. Loved that book! Always laugh thinking of the otter knocking stuff off the shelf on the balcony just so he could watch them crash to the floor below.

      Delete
    3. Jean, I guessed you'd know the book. I still have a copy.

      Delete
  2. I've always loved to watch otters playing they look so happy all the time. Saw them sliding down sand hills using them as a slide to splash back into the water like a bunch of rowdy kids playing. Love how they tap the shells with a stone to open their food too. Glad you were lucky enough to have great entertainment with your meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grey Horse, there's a sheltered cove where the otters have their babies. There is much complaining as they tie the babies to the kelp strands so they wont be swept away while mom is diving for food.

      Delete
  3. What fun. We were recently in Monterey and were surprised to see such a healthy population of them there. I didn't know they used kelp to restrain their babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Otters always remind me of my father ... not , I hasten to add , that he looked like one , but Ring of Brightwater was his favourite book . He would have loved this scene .

    Happy New Year and lots more lovely lunches to enjoy in 2016 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S&S, I feel privileged whenever I encounter nature this way.

      Delete
  5. looks like you had a great time - nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pixie, limping along with too few blogposts. I feel like the blog is now more of an occasional diary entry than a venue for creative writing. It's fun to look back on posts of long ago. The blog kept me going through some dark times.

    ReplyDelete